Tuesday, May 16, 2006

what in the world is chelation?


I have been asked numerous times what chelation means....and even though brooke is in her first round of chelation i'm quiet new at this to give a good definition or a way to explain....so i looked something up for to better describe:
"What is Chelation? Chelation (pronounced key-LAY-shun) is a term derived from the Greek chele, meaning "claw." A chelation agent is a chemical agent that, like a claw, grabs and chemically bonds with metals or other minerals and toxins. Simply put, chelation is the process in which chemicals bind with minerals. While chelation is a naturally occurring biological process (hemoglobin binds with iron to provide oxygen to tissues), synthesized chelation agents were first developed during World War II as a way to clear toxic metals from the body. Chemists discovered they could create a heterocycling ring of molecules which surround or "sequester" mineral molecules and carry them from the body through normal elimination.
This process of
chelation actually removes unwanted metals from the bloodstream. In fact, chelation therapy is the only way to treat lead poisoning. But lead is not the only metal cleansed from the body through chelation. A chelation agent will also bind with most metals, mineral deposits, calcium-based plaques and other chemical toxins. Because of its positive impact on the bloodstream, chelation therapy has proven to benefit a number of medical conditions."

so....there ya go for those that might be interested. also, i'm sending the a letter that dr. usman wrote explaining her practice that i think you will find interesting:

Dedicated to the memory of Priya Iona Agrawal, My guide, teacher, daughter, and inspiration
The vision for True Health Medical Center came from my own personal experience with the medical profession. Having grown up in Indiana and having attended Indiana University Medical School, I was trained to think in a very traditional manner about medicine. After my residency in family practice at Cook County Hospital in Chicago I began questioning my role as a physician and healer. By then I had 3 children, one with severe asthma and food allergies, one with juvenile onset diabetes, one with chemical sensitivities, and one child on the way. I wanted my attention to shift from treating the symptoms of disorders to treating the underlying cause of the disease. I searched for answers to my questions about why my children and so many children in epidemic proportions are suffering from chronic degenerative autoimmune disorders, such as asthma, allergies, juvenile arthritis, juvenile diabetes, mood disorders, attention-deficit disorder, ADHD, and autism spectrum disorders...
The mission in opening THMC comes from my journey to help my own children with these chronic disorders to lead productive and healthy lives. This simple dream has been shattered for so many. My goal as a physician is to use evidence based research and functional medicine to provide possible solutions and to help rebuild hope for families with children in the autism spectrum. Being the senior medical attending physician at the Pfeiffer Treatment Center for 5 years paved the way for my interest and passion in treating children on the autism spectrum which I believe includes ADD/ADHD. At Pfeiffer, I was actively involved in researching Copper/Zinc, free Copper, and Metallothionein imbalances. There, along with Mary Haakenson, PAC, and Bill Walsh, PhD, I developed a Metallothionein Promotion Therapy Protocol for Autism which has been quite successful.
However, over the years most of my knowledge and growth has come from trying to help my patients and their families. They have made me relearn the basics of chemistry and biochemistry and research areas which I was unfamiliar with. Because of my patients, I am actively involved in the Defeat Autism Now movement, which advocates treating affected children using a biomedical approach. This movement has also brought to the forefront the dangers of mercury leading to auto-immune disorders in susceptible families.
I believe that True Health can be achieved by transforming the mind, body, and spirit back to their natural state utilizing tools nature and modern medicine provide. Using the aid of neutraceuticals (vitamins, minerals, amino acids, fatty acids, enzymes, natural hormones, etc.), pharmaceuticals, herbals, homeopathics, and probiotics..., the patient and family can begin their metamorphosis. This transformative journey takes creativity, motivation, and determination, but its rewards are immense.
The journey begins here.
Inspiration/Determination/Transformation
Anju I. Usman, M.D.

i know that this was lengthy...but for those looking for info....here ya go.
dani

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very helpful. I am intrigued at the connection to autoimmune disorders. Of course that is the source of my liver problems that have led to the pulmonary issues. However, as this doctor articulates, my concern is for my children given their family history--believe me it's messy.
Do you have any additional information in that direction?
Trish