Wednesday, July 16, 2008

habitation

the past few days i have harbored in my heart a passage of scripture i memorized years ago. Ps. 71.3 says: "Be Thou my Rock and my Fortress whereunto I may continually resort; You have given commandment to save me, You are my Rock and my Fortress". this morning i came across this word from amy carmichael that drilled in this passage once again. it came as a comfort to me in the early mornings. She wrote:

"Perhaps we are allowed to feel our nothingness, so that we may in the depths of our heart understand those words "Without Me ye can do nothing." I think there was something of this in our Lord Jesus' mind when he told the story of one who had nothing to set before his friend--not a crumb--and it was midnight. He will give us not just crumbs, but loaves--"He will rise and give him as many as he needeth.""


i don't know about you, but i can't do it. i cannot live without Him...and believe me, i have tried. I just messed up things more than what they were. It's in knowing that i am helpless that makes me see the broader picture. i NEED to be reminded daily to rely on Him. my old nature gets in the way though...so, i do need to be reminded daily to rely on Him. sometimes it's moment by moment, other times minute by minute, and lots of times i go on...little by little. to be honest, i like it this way because no one can reach my wounded heart except Christ. when i'm with Him nothing else matters, my bread of need is given to me and i'm in complete habitation. It's a longing. A thirst. A hunger.

No comments: